Lilies (lilium) are some of the most beautiful and showiest summer blooming flowers! They have been cultivated for thousands of years and are beloved for their vibrant colours, intoxicating fragrance and stunning beauty! Adding to the appeal are the countless varieties available, varying in forms, sizes and colours! Though lilies can look high maintenance, they are actually reliable perennials that require very little care, once they are established. These sun-loving bulbs are planted in the early spring for summer flowering.
Along with beautifying your garden, lilies can also be enjoyed as cut flowers! They are considered one of the top cut flowers in the world due to their long vase life, beauty and fragrance. These beauties are often used in floral arrangements, especially wedding bouquets, to add beauty and elegance. Don’t forget to remove the anthers to prevent the pollen from staining your clothes or home. Keep flowers cool and away from direct sunlight to help them last longer.
Take a look at some of these lilies images and you’ll see why in Chinese, the word “lily” means “forever in love!”
- All About Lilies (growerdirect.com)
- What is the Difference Between a Daylily & a Lily? (funflowerfacts.com)
- What’s the Difference Between Asiatic & Oriental Lilies? (funflowerfacts.com)
- The Stargazer Lily (growerdirect.com)
- Lilies are Easier to Grow Than You Think (growerdirect.com)
- Stunning Stargazer Lily (georgiabackyardnature.com)
- Lilies ~ Lilium Plant Care Guide (General) (auntiedogmasgardenspot.wordpress.com)
- Important Lily Stuff (jadecypress.wordpress.com)
- Pic of the Day – Lilium leichtlinii (jcraulstonarboretum.wordpress.com)
- Garden Update: Lilies Everywhere (terrisnotebook.wordpress.com)